Thursday, August 20, 2009

Meat Sale Fridays

Dear readers, I know it has been a long time. Too long. I have been extremely busy, but we won't pretend that is an excuse. However, I believe this blog may make up for it.
I am going to share a little known secret that those around Athens probably don't know about. And even if some have heard of it, not many have actually checked it out.

This is Meat Sale Fridays. Every single Friday, save holidays, the meat department (425 River Rd, Athens, GA) at the University has a meat sale. This meat is all slaughtered on site, (and mush of it I have actually been personally involved in the slaughter and fabrication) so I can vouch for the methods used during slaughter and the cleanliness of the plant (you can EAT off the floor, literally. Don't believe me? Ask my cousin, she was impressed.). There are several restaurants that even buy part of their meat from the department. Also, the meat here is generally a bit cheaper than the store. Furthermore, I like the cuts at this sale better. You can find good thick-cut bacon here, as well as circular sandwhich bacon, flat iron steaks, ground hamburger, dog bones, pig ears, meat for stew, mild and hot sausage. They have beef and pork, all different cuts. Also, later in the fall we'll have lamb. Nearly anything you could want can be found here, and if you can't find it all you have to do is ask one of the guys working, and they'll find someway to either get it for you or tell you where you can get it. Furthermore, if you have any questions at all on the best way to cook something, all you need to do is ask either Brad or Ryan. These are the managers of the plant, and they pretty know as much as there is to know about meat.

So, come out tomorrow or any Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment